Wednesday 17 October 2007

Everything Changes

So, prompted by Mr Mitchinson, I thought I'd better post again.





Life, for the last few weeks, has been hectic - work has kept me busy and last week I was travelling around the country doing some presentations. Over the course of 5 days I found myself in Hitchin, Letchworth, Dartford, Cobham, Cardiff and Huddersfield (and believe me travelling from Cardiff to Huddersfield, and then from Huddersfield to Chelmsford in the same day certainly takes it out of you!). I clocked up over 1,000 miles, passed through around 18 different counties, and was apparently on the highest motorway point in the UK whilst on the M62 (Well, I think I was, didn't quite get time to read all of what the sign said - I wasn't driving by the way, so was allowed to try and read it!). And in the middle of all that I had my birthday - so, another year older, another year wiser??? Hmm, will reserve judgement on that one!





Last night I was quite excited, because last night it was time for.........



Yep, a new series of Spooks - one of my favourite programmes on tv. Really enjoyed it, but something struck me this morning. In a strange kind of way the fact that I was able to enjoy it really demonstrated to me the way that everything has changed for me (stick with me here!). In previous years, the BBC scheduling a new series of this (or any other favourite, Like "Life on Mars" for example) for a Tuesday night would have resulted in an outburst from me - Why, when they could pick any evening of the week, would they pick the one night I'm out - It was so infuriating! It invariably led to late nights, as I would arrive home late from Songster Practice, but couldn't avoid the temptation to watch it there and then on "catch up". This year, no such problem. It's not that Songster Practice has changed nights, it's just that I'm not there - Everything changes.

A year ago, there were things, people and relationships that were a big part of my life, some had always been a big part of my life, and even defined a lot of who I am. I couldn't imagine that there would ever be a time when those things, people and relationships wouldn't be a big part of my life. Now, as a result of the course of events that have unfolded over the past year, some of those things seem far away. Now I know that some of those changes have been instigated by me, and that's just part of where I am at the moment, but some of them haven't, and some things have changed and I'm not sure why.

I've never been one for living in the past, and always coped with change quite well - but I don't like these changes. I'd just like things to be as they were, I miss that.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You miss that and I miss you! Really glad we managed to get a date for meeting up again. Its weird not seeing you so much. Hmm, now what shall I cook...It's Graeme and Melissa, so... curry it is then!

xxx

Jenny said...

we don't like the changes either if it means we don't see you all so much.....missing all of you!
Kirsty you will need chocolate at some stage of the game.....Melissa will be there!!

Mitchenstein said...

Wow, I didn't realise I had this power! Should I use my new-found powers for good or for evil...

Andy said...

Tell me about it, mate... :(

Mind you, I don't want EVERYTHING as it was, I'm quite happy to have finally moved!

Unknown said...

Arrgghh! Yes, Jenny, of course. Can't forget that! I do have the best chocolate desert recipe in the world! But I have given chocolate up so she will have to take the any left overs with her. What a nuisence!

Mitchenstein said...

Ok - I just have to say that wrote my last comment after only having read the first two lines of your post - waiting to read the rest once I had a little more time. Now I have a little more time, it now looks like I was incredibly insensitive when all I could take from your post was the bit where you mentioned me. So I'm sorry about that!

Lesson learned: Read entire post before commenting

I don't know your situation at all (although I can work some stuff out - you not going to Songsters probably means you don't go to Songsters), but I hope things improve for you. I'll be thinking of and praying for you.

Keep it real. (I can't pull that off).

Graeme said...

John, Don't worry about it!

Your original comment made me smile, but remember, in the words of Spiderman - "with great power comes great responsibility"!